Friday, February 26, 2010

Jack the Ripper 1976

I am really on the fence about Jesus Franco. Jack the Ripper from 1976 is the third Franco film I have watched (the other two being Vampyros Lesbos: boring as hell except for the AWESOME score, and Marquis de Sade's Justine, also boring as hell except for Klaus Kinski as a lunatic Sade. I don't know that hell is really that boring. There are probably quite a lot of interesting people there. Who am I to judge?)

Jack the Ripper stars Mr. Awesome himself, Klaus Kinski, as.....you guessed it: Jack the Ripper. He is a Doctor with some mommy issues. Quite a few men have mommy issues. Some deal with those issues by drinking too much or overeating. This one deals with his by cutting off women's breasts and necrophilia. As much as you would THINK I would love this film I am sad to say I found it rather boring. None of this is Kinski's fault. He is awesome. He tries to control his rage...he is so wound up you could put coal up his ass and in a week you would have a diamond (thank you Ferris.) When he lets the dark side take over: you better watch it. He is scary, sexy, and totally believable as the Victorian monster. Zurich makes a convincing London, the cinematography is amazing, and the score is wonderful. Franco's muse, Lina Romay, is great as one of the Ripper's last victims. But it still bored me. Is it Franco's pacing? Am I expecting too much? I don't know. I have quite a few of his films on my Netflix queue. I am not giving up yet. In the meantime, enjoy these pictures of Klaus Kinski.....










5 comments:

Shoshanah Marohn said...

Ah, Marquis de Sade's Justine! YOu were the only teenager ever obsessed with the Marquis de Sade.
It must have been a terrible movie, if you didn't like it.

Do you remember that lady in Paris who said the Marquis was so misunderstood?

Jen said...

She was right! The movie is just was boring to me, except Klaus Kinski who place the incarcerated Marquis. All he does the entire movie is pace around his cell looking crazy. It's awesome

Jen said...

I meant plays.

Franco Macabro said...

I saw a movie that Jesus Franco was supposed to direct but didnt called Zombie Lake. Even though Franco didnt direct it...it was still the most boring nazi zombie movie I have ever seen.

Scare Sarah said...

Great selection of creepy pics!