Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (not)


I have been all over the place with my movie watching lately, from classy things like The Innocents to not so classy things like Friday the 13th: Part 4, The Final Chapter.  I love them both equally.  I cannot remember why I put The Final Chapter in my Netflix Queue.  Most likely another blogger mentioned it, and I thought: YES!  I want to see this slice of 1984 again!!  Thank you blogger!



Do I really need to recap?  This is the one with Crispin Glover and Corey Feldman.  Glover dances, gets laid, and gets a machete to the face.  It is probably one of his most "normal" roles.  Like many, I have a not so secret bizarro movie star crush on Crispin Glover.  I especially love him in the Charlie's Angels movies. He is the only reason to see those movies.  I would love to see him in a serious role sometime, you know, one where he is not shoving cockroaches down his pants.

Back to the film.  Glover is part of a group of friends who have rented a house near Crystal Lake.  Their neighbors are the Jarvis family.  Mom, hot older sister, and Tommy, played by Corey Feldman.

 

The Tommy Jarvis character would show up in two more Fridays.  I guess they couldn't afford Feldman because he only plays the character once.  Tommy is a typical monster kid who loves creating masks in his spare time (Tom Savini did the makeup effects: I bet he loved this character).

Jason, now with signature hockey mask (thanks Part 3) returns to wreak havoc!  And you know the rest.  No spectacular kills here, only a child being stalked and terrorized and then doing one of the all time classic freak outs on film!!  The ending is actually quite disturbing, and I think explains why Feldman kind of went off the rails.  Or at least I like to think that.


The best part of this film, and all the Friday films from this era, is the awesome 80's fashion!!  It is all shoulder pads, high waisted pants, pastels, and shirt/dresses!  I rocked so many of these looks that I must have taken the Friday films as my major fashion inspiration.  No wonder I went off the rails.  Just like Feldman.

No comments: