Monday, June 6, 2011

The Call of Cthulhu 2005

Who knows the end? What has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise. Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering cities of men.
H.P. Lovecraft "The Call of Cthulhu"



Damn I love H.P. Lovecraft! When I read his stories I always feel as if I am slipping into a fever dream.  I can't read too much at once, in case I wake up in the middle of the night chanting in some ancient, unknown language.  One of his most famous stories is The Call of Cthulhu, and understandably so.  I mean, who doesn't love Cthulhu?  Regarded by many as "unfilmable", this story, published in 1928, features the great and powerful Cthulhu in his first major appearance.  Director Andrew Leman and the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society decided the best way to film it was as if it was being made in 1928.  Hence we have a black and white silent film that looks like it could have been made by F.W. Murnau.


There are a few reasons that I really love this film.  I have always loved silent films.  I love the look, I love the history, I love that they forced you to use your imagination. Plus, they look so damn cool!  Another reason I love this film is that it is perfect for Lovecraft's story.  What he writes is almost too horrible to imagine, much less see on the big screen.  The simple special effects, the emphasis on atmosphere, and the other worldliness of silent cinema just seem to fit Lovecraft.  I don't want to see this CGI'd to death and starring Shia LaBeouf.  I want to be left unsettled.  This short film was unsettling, but in that warm and fuzzy good way that horror hounds love.



The Call of Cthulhu is on Netflix instant play (best invention EVER.)  Do yourself a favor and carve out 40 minutes to watch it.  Just be careful that you don't carve out your eyes afterwards.  Lovecraft does have a tendency to drive one insane.......






5 comments:

Chris Hewson said...

I hope that Guillermo del Toro manages to get his adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness off the ground, if there's one man who can do H.P. Lovecraft justice, it's del Toro!

Will Errickson said...

Yeah, diehard HPL fan here as well, and you're right, this adaptation of his classic tale was right on the money. Brilliant idea to film it as a period piece.

Jen said...

I really hope del Toro can pull it off as well-- That is the film I most want to see. Like ever.

Mac Campbell said...

This looks awesome. You can feel the love and the old-timey pancake makeup is perfect.
The definitive HPL film will be made! As computers and software get cheaper and more powerful, someone will do this or Mountains of Madness(or Dagon!) at his or her desk, and it will look good as Avatar.

Zelmarific said...

I watched this right after I read your review. I thought it sounded really familiar, and when I turned it on the Netflix instant, I realized I had watched it before. No matter. It was even better the second time around.