Monday, August 31, 2015

RIP Wes Craven


There is not much more I can add to the heartfelt tributes coming out today about Horror Maestro Wes Craven.  He was universally loved in the horror community and his impact on the genre is without question.  By all accounts he was a really nice, cool guy who loved what he did.  That sounds like a pretty good run of it to me.

It broke my heart to heart to hear the news.  Wes Craven's films had a dramatic impact on my horror loving soul.  I remember when A Nightmare on Elm Street came out.  First thing I remember is seeing that terrifying poster.  I was repulsed and attracted at the same time.  I was 10 and still slept with the lights on.  Everything scared me: Ghosts, Frankenstein's monster, Vampires, Zombies....I knew these things were not real but that didn't stop them from haunting me every night.  When I finally saw Nightmare I met the new monster who would haunt my dreams.  For months I wouldn't fall asleep without the TV on.  The channel couldn't be on MTV: that was the channel Depp was watching when he was sucked into the bed.  Despite the trauma I watched this film again and again.  To this day it is one of my favorites and although I don't have to sleep with the light on any longer, Freddy still occasionally pops up in my dreams, along with the rest of my friends.

Thank you Wes Craven.  

No comments: