Thursday, January 15, 2009

Recent Horror Movies..

These are actually old horror movies, but ones I recently watched. Due to the fact that we have HBO free for a week, I finally got to see "The Hills Have Eyes 2," a film with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I even tried to keep my husband from watching it lest it harm him beyond repair. Now I actually "liked" the original remake, and I own it, but the sequel just looked so god awful I didn't even bother. Turns out I was right not to. There is one good scene in the movie. A bunch of National Guard trainees (also known as mutant food) stumble upon an abandoned scientific encampment in the middle of the desert. One of them goes to use the port-a-potty, and as he is sitting down he sees a hand reach up out of the darkness of the port-a-potty hole. Naturally he freaks and runs out of the john with his pants down, getting the attention of his hot, female, way to young and pretty to be in the National Guard companion. They open the door to the port-o-potty and see a man covered in shit and blood climbing out and screaming for help. She screams at her pants less companion "What the Hell was that?" and he replies "I don't know, Shitman the Barbarian?" That is the best scene in the movie, swear to god.
I also saw "The Abandoned" which is a ghost story set in Russia. It was part of the "After Dark Horrorfest" a few years back and it kept popping up on my radar. It's a very good film, with a few scares, a little gore, and a pretty decent fucked up ending. It's an English language, Russian set, Bulgaria shot, Spanish written and directed horror film. I liked that a Spanish guy, Nacho Cerda (best name ever) shot it. He is the director of a short film called "Aftermath," which I have been avoiding for a few years. It is a pure gore fest apparently, and although I hear it is very good, I just can't do a half hour of straight gore. Not my bag.
By the way, the Plague has taken over and I am going back to bed. I fully expect to cough up a lung any minute now. The trick will be stuffing it back in before my cat gets to it.

No comments: