Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Vampire Lovers


I have seen perfection and it is Ingrid Pitt.  Really, how awesome is she?  I have seen a few films with her in it, such as The Wicker Man and I am sure something else, but after seeing The Vampire Lovers I am 100% totally in love with her.  She IS this movie.



So any horror nerd worth their salt has seen The Vampire Lovers.  I am only a horror nerd apprentice.  I have never claimed to be anything more.  I can't speak with authority on shit, and I don't claim to.  Seeing The Vampire Lovers was like a horror nerd revelation to me.  Now, it may just be the 3 glasses of wine after a shitty day of work talking, but this was almost life changing.  OK, that was definitely the 3 glasses of wine talking.




So this amazing Hammer production from 1970 is based on J. Sheridan Le Fanu's short story "Carmilla."  Written years before "Dracula," this was not only an early vampire story, but one of the first "lesbian" themed stories that would become so popular.  The film actually follows the story pretty well.  Pitt plays Marcilla/Carmilla, a mysterious woman who is always getting pushed upon wealthy families by her mother.  See, Mom always has an emergency to get to, and wouldn't it be nice if this very wealthy family takes this hot young piece in for a few weeks.  They always agree. 




Carmilla has a thing for the young women in the family and a thing for blood, which pisses off certain people like Peter Cushing's General.  The Vampire Lovers has anything you could ever want in a Hammer film: crumbling castles, Peter Cushing, hot chicks, boobs, blood, characters that appear and then disappear and you can't figure out what they were there for, and amazing cinematography and music.  Really, this is as close to a perfect film as you can get.  I heart Ingrid Pitt, I really do.  I am closer to becoming the horror nerd I was always meant to be.

3 comments:

Dwido said...

Horror Nerd? Hardly. You are a horror-guru with penetrating critical insights, with scholarly flights of stunning clairty and humorous asides all admid directorial and thespian name droppings with loving fan-chick adoration. You rule Mistress ZAM, fecal matter expertise or not!

Will Errickson said...

Ingrid Pitt will have that effect on you! Gone but never forgotten...

Jen said...

Hey Will- Thanks for all the great comments, especially about the Hammer Vampire film. I was paranoid that I was the only one in the world that didn't think it was the bee's knees.