Friday, October 21, 2011

The Thang 2011


Minor Spoilers.

So everyone is harping on this movie and quite rightly so, but let me take a moment to say something nice before I join the shit parade.  The filmmakers behind The Thing 2011 took great pains to ensure some continuity between Carpenter's seminal 1982 film and this prequel/remake hybrid.  I re-watched The Thing just hours before going to see this monstrosity and I have to say that you can see that the love is there.  The only joy I had while watching this film was seeing all the references to Carpenter's masterpiece.  Also, I rather like Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton as actors.  I am sorry to see that they are in this film, but I just wanted to throw that out there.


Also it was cool that they used real Norwegians to play Norwegians.  Now I am done.  Time to start complaining:  This movie is awful.  Let me use my favorite lazy writing device, the list, to illustrate:
  1. It is not scary.  At all.
  2. The CGI is awful.  It made me appreciate Rob Bottin's work on Carpenter's film all the more.
  3. The first 20 minutes of the film is the "prequel," the remainder of the film is a remake.  This is not a good combination.
  4. I really didn't care about any of the characters with the exception of Kate.
  5. It's obvious who is "Thing" and who is not "Thing."
  6. WTF with the ending?!?  What happened to Kate?  Are they trying to set up for a sequel?  Why didn't we hear about the Russian base before?  Does every Country have a base on Antarctica?
  7. Would a bad ass helicopter pilot really wear a tiny gold earring?  I don't think so.


I think the idea of doing a prequel was a good one, but the filmmakers got lazy and basically just remade Carpenter's film.  What a wasted opportunity.  Save yourself the money.  Re-watch The Thing from 1982 and watch, if you haven't already, The Thing from Another World, made in 1951 and 10 times scarier than this new version.

1 comment:

Kev D. said...

Thanks for confirming that the movie sucks. You have saved me time and money.