Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Rodin and stuff..

This is my hand in 5 years. Really, this is what they are going to look like and I am going to walk around on Halloween night scaring little kids!
Actually these are Rodin's hands (not his but he made them.) Except this flesh colored one, that is Howard...

I love how Rodin was obsessed with hands. He thought they told alot about a person. I wonder if he specifically picked models with disfigured hands. These look like RA hands.

Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University has the largest collection of Rodin in the United States. And for the 1st time everything is on display. So Howard and I hightailed it across the street to check it out. It is the first time I have been to the museum and I have only lived here two years! What a good Art Historian I am! This dude is Balzac. Yes, he is meant to look like a penis.

My favorite. I thought this picture came out really well. Jonathan must be rubbing off on me.


The Thinker (wondering how long he would survive in a Zombie Apocalypse.) I felt very smart when I guessed there were about 20 or so casts of The Thinker and I was right! (Lucky Guess.)

I thought this little guy was kind of spooky. He is from the Gates Of Hell, which I couldn't get a good picture of because of all the tourists. I live here, I am not a tourist. Even though I was taking pictures and dressed inappropriately.


Right outside the museum is this sculpture by Andy Goldsworthy entitled Stone River. I love Goldsworthy's work, and it is neat-o to have one across the street. The first date Jonathan and I went on was to see a documentary about Goldsworthy called "Rivers and Tides."

Sorry this post wasn't very scary but I did slip Zombies in there!!!

2 comments:

Shoshanah Marohn said...

I love Rodin! When we went to Paris together (yes, other reader, I went to Paris, France, with Jennifer!) the one museum I was really excited about going to was Le Musee de Rodin. It was nice and I seem to remember there being hardly anyone else there (except Becka, of course, who just kept following us...)

When I was in college, I took a sculpting course and was highly inspired by Rodin. Of course. Ahem.

So cool that all this is across the street from you!

Jen said...

It is awesome! I told everyone there to go ahead and touch the sculptures, because that is what he would have wanted!! Whatever happened to Becka!!!!