Sunday, May 31, 2009

Drag me to Hell? Yes please!!

I have had a very busy and exciting weekend, hence no insightful review of "The Virgin Spring." It is coming, I promise you!! The most exciting thing I did this weekend was see "Drag Me To Hell," Sam Raimi's "Return to True Horror" or however the hell they are marketing it. I knew I was in love when a little boy gets killed before the opening credits. "Drag Me to Hell" is quite simply the most fun I have had in a movie theatre in a long time. Throughout the whole film I was either laughing hysterically or covering my eyes. "Drag me to Hell" is equal parts gross-out comedy and "shock" horror.
Yes, it is very reminiscent of "Evil Dead II," although a bit more restrained. Alison Lohman plays a young loan officer who is cursed by an old gypsy woman (Lorna Raver, who should win some sort of award.) She has three days to shed the curse before she is "Dragged to Hell." Lohman plays the role straight, and she is a total trooper. Raimi punishes her about as much as he punishes Bruce. After the film half the audience was clapping and half was screaming for their money back (losers.) I wanted to stay and watch it again! Could this be the perfect film? It has a crazy gypsy woman, talking goats, and corpse desecration. It is pretty damn close.

No comments: