Thursday, November 5, 2009

In the Hills, the Cities...

I am sorry it has been so long since my last post. No, I didn't party THAT hard on Halloween, I've just been busy (lame.) But now that things have calmed down and the Warriors have finally won a game (thank Christ) I can post again. Let me write a little post about a short story that rocked my world- In the Hills, the Cities by my horror crush Clive Barker (yes, I know he is gay. He is a crush!) I am reading the Books of Blood for the first time, and although I love every story so far (especially Midnight Meat Train) this particular story had me screaming "Holy Shit! That was good!" Which sent my husband running into the room. "What is so good?" He asked. "Is it V? (more on that later.) " "No hubby" I said, "this is the best rival rural towns fight each other to the death by strapping themselves together to create giants and pummeling each other story I have ever read!" Then he left the room with a frown on his face and took the cat with him. Seriously, this short is one of the most visually striking stories I have ever read. By that I mean that the picture Barker paints sort of gets imprinted on your psyche. Barker imprinting anything on your psyche is usually not a good thing, but this gory and beautiful story about madness amongst the masses is worth the risk. I hope they never try to film it, because nothing I would see could equal the awesomeness of what I imagined.

I love discovering new (to me) cool shit!! P.S.: I thought about the film The Wicker Man after reading this short. A few similarities although there is no naked gyrating in Barker's story (I know, I was surprised too!)

No comments: