Tuesday, July 15, 2008

New Yorker has lost it's mind..

This is one of the worst media mis-steps since Judith Regan tried to publish "If I Did It" by OJ Simpson. The New Yorker is claiming "satire." The purpose of the cover is to call attention to how Obama and his wife are mis-represented in certain media outlets. Their argument is that most people will understand it (they are assuming that most of America is well versed with the satirical tradition of The New Yorker. Not only is that not the case, but as Keith Knight wrote: Knowing the New Yorker, I understand what they were trying to do. But an effective satirical cartoon- you shouldn't have to know the cartoonist or the magazine to get it.) Well, the 12% of Americans who still believe Obama is Muslim or will take his oath of office with hand on the Koran won't get it. Of course, those people won't buy The New Yorker anyway, seeing as how they are not allowed to because they are not from New York.

3 comments:

Shoshanah Marohn said...

I don't think it sucks worse than anything else the New Yorker normally does!

But I guess I'm being somewhat of an apologist. (That's what Brian says, anyway.)

I actually thought it was slightly funny, but for all the wrong reasons. I thought it was funny in the sense that you can look at it and say, "Holy shit! They really fucked that up, didn't they!" The flag in the fireplace is a nice touch, too. The machine gun- damn.

Okay, I have to admit. I think it's hilarious. But they shouldn't have used it, because it does nothing but harm for the cause, so to speak.

Jen said...

I agree with you. It really is funny but the problem is most people won't get it, so it does more harm than good. I don't even know why I care, the last time I read the New Yorker was the last time I went to the Dentist, 5 years ago.

Shoshanah Marohn said...

Fuck, your teeth must be growing moss by now!

Just kidding.