Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Orange Menace meets Abbott and Costello

The cat and I watched Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein last night. I have never been a huge Abbott and Costello fan, but this film was really great and made me very happy. Bela Lugosi is great in it. You know this film was only the second time he played Dracula. He played other Vampires in other films, but he only played Dracula twice...

Costello sorta annoys me, but I love Abbott. I love a good straight man, and he was probably the best. Last time I saw this film I was a kid, and I remember it scaring me (I was horrified by Frankenstein's Monster). As an adult I see how the humor is quite "saucy." If I was not in the middle of a netflix obsession with Vampires I would go on an Abbott and Costello jaunt. But that will have to wait.

I really wanted to see "Hamlet 2" today, but it is not playing anywhere around here. It was co-written by Pam Brady, who writes for South Park. I want to see it because of that, because I love Steve Coogan, and because it features underprivileged Hispanic kids performing in a play about a time-travelling Hamlet. It also has musical performances of songs entitled "Rock me Sexy Jesus" and "Raped in the Face." Put those songs together with "Boats and Ho's" and you have my soundtrack for the summer...

No comments: