Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Best. Movie. Ever.

As many of you know I am a huge, borderline obsessive Bruce Campbell fan ( I have even read both his books.) I am not alone in believing the man can do not wrong, even when he is doing very wrong (see Alien Apocalypse.) Last night we watched what is, in my opinion, the best film of 2009, made in 2007 and sent straight to DVD 2 years later: " My Name is Bruce," starring, produced, and directed by the man himself.
So the plot is a rip-off of "Three Amigos" but starring Bruce Campbell as Bruce Campbell, the down on his luck, boozing B-movie actor whose life is in the shitter until he is kidnapped by an obsessive fan from a small hick town to fight an evil Chinese Demon of War.

The Chinese Demon of War is also the protector of Bean Curd, but I don't want to give away major plot points so I will leave it at that.

I just have to say that this film is freaking hysterical and cements, in my mind, Bruce Campbell as one of the great comedic actors of our time. To bad he can't say no to every crappy Sci-fi film being made out there. Gotta pay the rent.
You don't have to be a Campbell fan to enjoy this film, but it helps. Here is a recommended list of films to watch in order to understand alot of the jokes in "My Name is Bruce." Essential films are in italics, since I can't figure out how to underline them.
MAN WITH THE SCREAMING BRAIN
ALIEN APOCALYPSE
BUBBA HO-TEP
ARMY OF DARKNESS
MANIAC COP 1&2
MOONTRAP
SUNDOWN: THE VAMPIRE IN RETREAT
EVIL DEAD II
CRIMEWAVE
EVIL DEAD
I don't recommend the following films AT ALL, but at least IMBD them, as they are referenced in the movie:
McHales Navy
Serving Sara
You can thank me later.

No comments: