Sunday, May 3, 2009

Martyrs

This film is really, really good. I would say I "loved" it but that doesn't seem quite right. I would never watch it again, I didn't "enjoy" it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone (well, maybe a select few.)

Nevertheless, the film is amazing and probably the best horror film I will see all year (in fact I can pretty much guarantee it.) Yes, it is brutal, especially the last 20 minutes. There is nothing here that is any worse than in any of the SAW films, but the impact of what you are seeing is much greater. To begin with you really "care" about the main character, Anna. She is the Saint, the Martyr, of the film. By the time the last 20 minutes roll around you are so identified with her that the suffering she endures (and it is a lot and very graphic) hits like a ton of bricks.

Perhaps I came to this film knowing too much about it. I would have liked to watch it with a clean slate. Perhaps it would of had a greater impact. I knew it(the brutality) was going to get worse , and although that anticipation was thrilling, the impact would have been greater had I not known what was going to happen. Having said that, I didn't think it was as "horrible" as some have let on. I didn't feel faint or want to throw up. I don't think I have suffered any severe emotional damage (no more than usual.) I watched it with Tanya, and she knew nothing about the film. She enjoyed it (is that the right word?) as well. Which got me to thinking: Do women experience this film differently than men? I think this is a "women's" film. It is a chick flick. A horrible, horrible chick flick. You have to see it to know what I am talking about, but a warning: anyone who does not appreciate horror and sees this film will think I am a sick, sick bitch. You would probably be right!

No comments: